In a press release on Monday, 15th September 2008, the Prime Minister’s Office announced that His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam has consented to the appointment of the Second Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Pehin Orang Kaya Pekerma Dewa Dato Seri Setia Lim Jock Seng as the Chairman of Brunei Shell Petroleum Company Sendirian Berhad (and its subsidiaries) and Brunei LNG Sendirian Berhad.
The press release also announced the appointments of the following Members of the Board of Directors:
- Pehin Datu Singamanteri Col.(Rtd.) Dato Seri Paduka Hj Awg Mohammad Yasmin bin Hj Umar, Deputy Minister of Defence
- Pegiran Dato Paduka Osman bin Pengiran Patra, Permanent Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office
- Awang Hj Morni bin Hj Mohamed, Permanent Secretary, Department of Economic Planning and Development, Prime Minister’s Office
- Awang Hj Bahrin bin Hj Abdullah, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Finance
- Awg Hj Erwan bin Pehin Mohd Yusof, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Awang Hj Zulkiflee bin Hj Abd Karim, Acting Director of Petroleum Unit, Prime Minister’s Office
Pehin Dato Lim Jock Seng takes over the Chairmanship from the former Minister of Energy at the Prime Minister’s Office, Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Utama Dato Seri Setia Awang Hj Yahya bin Begawan Mudim Dato Paduka Hj Bakar, who is now the Minister of Industry and Primary Resources.
The announcement of the appointments of the new Board Members had been widely seen in the industry as a move by the Government to segregate the regulatory and policy making functions of the Minister of Energy from commercial matters.